1. What were the real consequences of the repeal of DADT?
The liberal media was silent about 26 VERY REAL things that happened because “don’t ask, don’t tell” was repealed.
2. What did we actually watch over the summer?
We’re still unsure if it was gay porn or…
3. What happens when a girl writes the president about her two gay dads?
Obama responds with a touching note: “They are lucky to have such an exceptional daughter in you,” he wrote to Sophia.
4. How did Azealia Banks become a gay icon?
Jamieson Cox explores how the rapper’s queer-friendly rhymes became the soundtrack of this summer’s gay scene.
5. What happens when gay penguins want to become parents?
They adopt and care for an abandoned chick.
6. Why did the Boy Scouts of America deny this teenager his Eagle Award?
Because he is gay. Ryan Andresen talked to BuzzFeed about his struggles with bullying and what it was like to be denied his Eagle Scout rank by the BSA.
7. What happens when homophobes take over Twitter?
8. Who will stand by the first out gay male major leaguer?
While there are no out male athletes in the major league sports world today, the closeted athlete may have more friends than he realizes. Among pro ballers, the straight part of the gay-straight alliance is finally getting itself off the ground.
9. What happens when you legalize same-sex marriage?
For starters: There are lots of tears. Relive one of the most emotionally exhausting days of Matt Stopera’s life when 138 couples got married in downtown Seattle on the first day gay marriage became legal. (Seriously, it was intense.)
10. What happens when gays threaten to marry your girlfriends?
A meme is born and everyone weighs in.
11. What’s it like to propose in the White House?
“[It was] such a special night surrounded by wonderful people in an amazing place, and the best is still yet to come with Ben Schock,” wrote U.S. Marine Corps captain Matthew Phelps.
12. What happens when the president steps up to the plate?
We get a leader who isn’t afraid to take a stance on LGBT issues: “One of the things that I’m very proud of during my first four years is I think I’ve helped to solidify this incredibly rapid transformation in people’s attitudes around LGBT issues — how we think about gays and lesbians and transgender persons,” Obama said in his Time profile. And he earned it.
13. What states could see marriage equality in 2013?
The Supreme Court is hearing cases about California’s Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act in the spring. And there are at least seven states LGBT advocates want to move to the “marriage equality” column by June, when the court’s big decisions traditionally are released.
14. Was 2012 the gayest year yet?
In one word: Yes.
60 Reasons To Be Proud In 2012
60 Powerful Steps Forward For Equality
The 12 Best Gay Ads Of 2012
16 Of The Most Beautiful Weddings Of The Year
The Year Hip-Hop Went Queer
16 Stars On What Coming Out Means To Them
6 Stand Out Web Series Of 2012
25 Ways Anderson Cooper Kicked Ass This Year
23 Times Neil Patrick Harris Did Something Legendary In 2012
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria, Prime Minister David Cameron announced. ›
- The drowned Syrian boy, whose picture caused outrage around the world, has been buried together with his mother and 5-year-old brother. ›
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›