1. Like hating trolls and rising gas prices, hating the paparazzi is profoundly uncontroversial.
But the paparazzi is nevertheless every pop star’s artistic muse. Even Anne Hathaway wrote a mildly peeved song about them.
6. For one, it’s every young starlet’s rite of passage (something something male gaze).
7. Pap songs often appear on sophomore albums.
8. Maybe label execs push producers and songwriters to write pap songs in an attempt to manufacture a “tragic fame” vibe for their artists.
9. For some new artists, writing songs about hating the paparazzi is like a bid for relevance.
Rob Fusali cowrote “Paparazzi” with Lady Gaga even before she released her debut album, before most people even knew about her. Bold move.
10. For stars on the wane, pap songs make great comeback hits, a chance to plead media martyrdom, and show real human frailties.
“Piece of Me” was a shockingly personal, human song coming from such a studio-groomed celeb. No comment about the crucifix, though.
11. Some artists’ breakout hits brag about not wanting the whole “paparazzi-hounded” lifestyle.
But ironically this is what helps them get famous.
12. Pap hate allowed Michael Jackson to show a gruffer side and try out his Tom Waits voice.
13. Anyone who can manage to piss off The Cranberries has to be pretty foul.
14. These K-pop starlets hate paps so much they’re basically threatening to blow up their cars.
15. Instead of writing pap songs, this is another way to turn pap annoyance into publicity. Don’t waste art on the unworthy, y’all!
16. But yeah. Why so many songs about paps when we already know how we feel about them?
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The first group of what is expected to be several thousand refugees arrived in Germany after a delayed journey through Hungary and Austria. ›
- Japan lifted an evacuation order on the small town of Naraha for the first time since the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster. ›
- One person has died and almost 300 have fallen ill due to a salmonella outbreak linked to cucumbers imported from Mexico. ›