1. U.S. women’s soccer star and two-time Olympic gold medalist Abby Wambach married her longtime girlfriend and teammate Sarah Huffman this past weekend.
2. TMZ first broke the story, reporting the couple swapped vows on Saturday at the Po’ipu Kai Villas on the island of Kauai.
3. The ceremony was small and intimate, but acknowledged by Wambach on Wednesday afternoon:
Sarah and I wanted to thank everyone for all the love and support. We couldn’t be happier. What an amazing week it’s been. #honeymoon
4. A longtime supporter of LGBT rights, Wambach had never previously spoken publicly on her personal sexual orientation. Huffman came out earlier this year with an announcement in support of Athlete Ally.
5. The two athletes, who also happen to be teammates on the Western New York Flash, have stayed very private about their relationship.
6. Rumors of the wedding spread as their registry became public online:
7. And on Twitter, Huffman slyly showed off her beautiful ring.
semi final v sky blue. lets go flash. âš¡âš½ & im following in others footsteps for equality #luckynailpolish #ithinkso
8. Leading up to the big day, teammates and friends sent their well wishes:
Ahhhh congrats to two of the best people I know. I wish you a happy crazy love filled life together â¤ï¸â¤ï¸â¤ï¸
10. Naturally it seemed nearly the entire U.S. women’s team was in attendance.
11. A few of the guests included:
14. USWNT forward Alex Morgan — who did some very important cliff-jumping with Leroux:
â€œ@sydneyleroux: Cliff jumping with @alexmorgan13 in Kauai! â€ #amaze
16. As for the actual photos of the lovely brides? We must wait.
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›
- Walter Scott's family has reached a $6.5 million settlement with North Charleston, S.C., where the unarmed black man was fatally shot by an officer in April. ›