1. Colban Clark, a freshman at the American Academy of Art, shared a story from class on his Tumblr:
Last Wednesday one of my teachers that knows I’m trans* was talking to me in front of the class and used the wrong pronouns. 5 mins later she came up to me, handing me a really nice brand new sketch book and simply said “Merry Christmas” and walked away. I took the sketchbook and said thanks and I opened it up to find a note saying “Sorry I called you a she.” Little things like this can just make my day.
3. Colban’s reaction to the gesture:
“I wasn’t used to any teacher (or even adult figure) correcting themselves unless I corrected them first or said something, so I was really happy that she understood and realized what that meant to me. I could tell she was embarrassed that she even made that mistake, which is why she gave me the sketchbook. I was glad she didn’t make it a big deal and just stuck a note in a book. It was really casual and that way no one in class had to witness her apologizing and being flustered about even making the mistake.”
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)