1. In the Philippines, a new type of beauty pageant in which androgynous women compete in front of a live audience has become immensely popular.
2. The short segment, “That’s My Tomboy,” which premiered in early October, airs as part of the musical and variety show It’s Showtime broadcast by ABS-CBN.
3. In the Philippines, the term “tomboy” often explicitly refers to a woman who identifies as a lesbian.
That’s My Tomboy
The first two winners of #ThatsMyTomboy na sina Phao & Kim Watch their performances http://t.co/qmMBDya5r7
4. Each contestant introduces themselves and performs a talent, followed by a question & answer segment by the hosts.
5. The audience will raise cards: “T-Boom!” if they love the performance or “Boom!” if they are unimpressed.
6. After the premiere, #ThatsMyTomboy trended worldwide on Twitter.
#ThatsMyTomboy #1 Trending Topic for the 4th straight day! Grabe ang suporta ng Madlang people online! Maraming salamat po :) #ItsShowtime
7. Filipina pop star Charice, an out artist that serves as a role model for many tomboys, has been very supportive of the show.
You may remember Charice from her appearance on Glee. She came out earlier this year and was shocked by the support she recieved from her Filipino fanbase.
- With head clerk Kim Davis jailed, Rowan County issued several marriage licenses to same-sex couples today. ›
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- A drowned Syrian boy, whose picture caused outrage around the world, has been buried together with his mother and 5-year-old brother. ›