1. In early July, Oscar winning actress Tilda Swinton took this photo in front of the Kremlin in Moscow.
2. The same week the photo was taken, President Vladimir Putin signed a law banning foreign gay and lesbian couples from adopting Russian children.
3. The photo was released along with a statement that read, “In solidarity. From Russia with love.”
The photo was released by Swinton’s representative and quickly spread all over the internet.
4. Putin also signed a gay propaganda bill into law, effectively making it illegal to be openly gay or even an ally to the community.
5. With the new gay propaganda law in effect, Swinton would face a jail sentence of up to 15 days and deportation for the public stunt.
- A Kentucky clerk is defying the Supreme Court by refusing to issue marriage licenses. Her policy comes from her religious opposition to same-sex marriage. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- McDonald's all-day breakfast is happening: It's coming to the U.S. on Oct. 6. The company started testing it this year 🍳 ›