1. In early July, Oscar winning actress Tilda Swinton took this photo in front of the Kremlin in Moscow.
2. The same week the photo was taken, President Vladimir Putin signed a law banning foreign gay and lesbian couples from adopting Russian children.
3. The photo was released along with a statement that read, “In solidarity. From Russia with love.”
The photo was released by Swinton’s representative and quickly spread all over the internet.
4. Putin also signed a gay propaganda bill into law, effectively making it illegal to be openly gay or even an ally to the community.
5. With the new gay propaganda law in effect, Swinton would face a jail sentence of up to 15 days and deportation for the public stunt.
- The Women's World Cup final is set: Team USA and Japan will play on Sunday ⚽️