3. Orson wrote in a 2004 personal manifesto:
But homosexual “marriage” is an act of intolerance. It is an attempt to eliminate any special preference for marriage in society — to erase the protected status of marriage in the constant balancing act between civilization and individual reproduction.
So if my friends insist on calling what they do “marriage,” they are not turning their relationship into what my wife and I have created, because no court has the power to change what their relationship actually is.
5. On the newly launched site Skip Enders Game, the group urges:
Skip Ender’s Game is a call to action. Do NOT see this movie! Do not buy a ticket at the theater, do not purchase the DVD, do not watch it on-demand. Ignore all merchandise and toys. However much you may have admired his books, keep your money out of Orson Scott Card’s pockets.
8. Not everyone agrees with the boycott, as conservative author Adam Graham wrote:
The story in Ender’s Game has nothing to do with homosexuality or gay rights. What this is about is a witch hunt to punish Mr. Card for his personal political and religious views. It’s an effort to ruin his career. And those who support traditional values should support Mr. Card and oppose this bullying campaign against.
10. Watch the trailer:
11. UPDATE - July 9, 2013, 11:30 AM: Orson Scott Card responded to the boycott via Entertainment Weekly:
Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984. With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state. Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.
- India's telecom authorities have ruled against Free Basics, Facebook's controversial plan to offer free but limited internet.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."
- The New Hampshire primary, the second voting contest of the U.S. presidential nominating season, is on Tuesday.