1. The American Kennel Club published an open letter to the leading international dog show organization, the FCI, calling for a change in location for the 2016 World Dog Show.
Eduardo Munoz / Reuters
2. In response to the anti-gay laws currently enforced in Russia, AKC Chairman Alan T. Kalter and CEO Dennis Sprung wrote:
10. On behalf of the American Kennel Club, our member clubs, and the American purebred dog fancy, we urge you to move the 2016 World Dog Show from Russia to a nation that respects and upholds human rights for all its citizens.
Lucas Jackson / Reuters
12. AKC cannot and will not support participation in the 2016 World Dog Show if it is held in Russia.
Edgard Garrido / Reuters
17. Yours respectfully, Alan T. Kalter and Dennis B. Sprung (President and CEO)
Sarah Karlan is the associate LGBT editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Sarah Karlan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.