1. From the very beginning these two weren’t afraid to play around with styles.
2. The ’90s were an interesting but adorable time.
4. Even when they rocked identical guitars, hair style could be used to set them apart.
5. Sara wanted to see if blondes had more fun.
Thankfully it didn’t last long.
8. Moving forward with harsh asymmetrical styles in 2004, the pair was back to brunette.
9. In 2007 they introduced the mullet that would change everything.
10. Note the subtle differences in side burn style. Touché ladies.
11. Everyone wanted to impersonate the look.
Amy Poehler and Casey Wilson as Tegan and Sara
12. In 2008 the duo tackled ponytails…
13. …and battled against bangs.
14. Which led to the perfection of the hair swoosh technique you see today.
15. Who knew there were so many variations on the mullet style?
19. They proved to the world that mullets could be absolutely adorable.
20. The twins tried out close-cut bobs for their album “Sainthood” in 2009.
While also successfully pulling off matching stripes.
22. They rocked the Justin Bieber look before he was even on the scene.
23. Tegan’s hair moved in the curly and textured direction in 2010.
24. While Sara got some inspiration for a new style watching Demi Moore in “Ghost”.
25. Tegan can only part her hair in one direction, but Sara often changes it up.
26. Tegan experimented with long hair in 2011, while Sara kept it short.
And apparently forgot how to smile.