1. Need another reason to love Macklemore? Here we go.
2. At a Macklemore & Ryan Lewis show in Omaha, Nebraska, Danielle Renae had a special surprise planned for her girlfriend.
3. Taylor had no idea that during the song “Same Love”, they would both be invited onstage by Macklemore:
6. The. Crowd. Just. Can’t. Handle. This.
7. And right here, everyone just loses it:
8. The band and their tour manager helped personally orchestrate the surprise onstage proposal.
9. Well done boys, well done.
10. Watch the magic:
11. Update — June 12th: Michelle has started a petition for her new wife after she was kicked out of Grace University for being gay. Now the school is forcing her to pay back her scholarship money.
12. The petition reads:
My wife, Danielle Powell, was kicked out of Grace University because she is gay. As if that’s not bad enough, now the school is forcing her to pay back her scholarship money, because they say she wasn’t “moral” enough to deserve that scholarship.
Danielle dreamed of completing her degree at Grace University in Omaha, Nebraska and becoming the first person in her family to graduate from college. She earned scholarships to cover her tuition and, for 3 ½ years, contributed to the school both academically and in extracurricular activities, including playing on the volleyball team and starting an on-campus homeless outreach in Omaha’s downtown area.
In the spring 2011, that dream came to an end when university officials found out Danielle was in a same-sex relationship and expelled her from school just one semester short of graduation. She was told, “…it would be impossible for the faculty of Grace University to affirm your Christian character, a requirement for degree conferral.” Danielle’s life was completely turned upside down and her academic career ended simply because she fell in love with another woman.
Being kicked out of school for being gay would have been awful enough — but Danielle’s nightmare didn’t end there. In addition to being expelled, school officials revoked her scholarships and are hounding her for $6000 in back due tuition for the final semester — which she was never allowed to complete — that her scholarships would have covered.