2. Rhode Island is the last New England state to allow same-sex marriage.
3. Gov. Lincoln Chafee signed the marriage equality bill into law on May 2, 2013.
4. Officials in Rhode Island began issuing licenses when offices opened at 8:30 a.m. this morning.
5. Among the first to arrive for licenses were John Gacher and Federico Santi of Newport , R.I.. They have been together for over 41 years.
The couple had a simple ceremony, as they told the AP, “After living together for 41 years, we don’t have anything to prove . It’s like going down and getting a driver’s license.”
- Voting is underway in New Hampshire, the second nominating contest of the U.S. 2016 presidential election 🇺🇸