1. A Gallup poll last week showed that 47% of people in the U.S. understand sexual orientation as something you are born with:
In 1978, that number was only 13%.
3. The poll, taken in early May, also finds:
From 1986-1988, only about 1/3 of Americans thought gay and lesbian relations should be legal.
6. As the “nature vs nurture” debate continues, scientists are working to pin-point what factors influence sexuality by working with other animals:
A study published last month attempted to alter female mice sexual preference using serotonin levels. Researchers, led by Shasha Zhang at Peking University in Beijing, bred a group of female mice that lacked serotonin or certain neurons that release serotonin in parts of their brains.
The results showed that these altered female mice preferred other females for sexual activity over males when given the choice. You can read the full report as published here.
7. Researchers concluded that the survey demonstrates, “that a genetic manipulation reverses sexual preference without involving sex hormones.”
From the results of the study:
8. According to Yale Scientific, there are currently over 450 different animal species worldwide with documented homosexual behavior.
- At least 86 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- Activists are celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Million Man March at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. ›
- Elections on Sunday are widely expected to hand Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko a fifth term since 1994. ›