1. A Gallup poll last week showed that 47% of people in the U.S. understand sexual orientation as something you are born with:
In 1978, that number was only 13%.
3. The poll, taken in early May, also finds:
From 1986-1988, only about 1/3 of Americans thought gay and lesbian relations should be legal.
6. As the “nature vs nurture” debate continues, scientists are working to pin-point what factors influence sexuality by working with other animals:
A study published last month attempted to alter female mice sexual preference using serotonin levels. Researchers, led by Shasha Zhang at Peking University in Beijing, bred a group of female mice that lacked serotonin or certain neurons that release serotonin in parts of their brains.
The results showed that these altered female mice preferred other females for sexual activity over males when given the choice. You can read the full report as published here.
7. Researchers concluded that the survey demonstrates, “that a genetic manipulation reverses sexual preference without involving sex hormones.”
From the results of the study:
8. According to Yale Scientific, there are currently over 450 different animal species worldwide with documented homosexual behavior.
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›