1. This morning the American Foundation for Equal Rights announced the organization is joining an ongoing federal challenge to the 2006 Virginia amendment banning same-sex marriage.
The constitutional ban was passed, 57% to 43%, by voters in November 2006.
2. Timothy Bostic and Tony London are plaintiffs in the federal court challenge, Bostic v. Raimey.
3. Tim grew up in Virginia with six siblings, while Tony grew up in Dallas, TX with only one brother.
4. Coming from different backgrounds, it turned out they were a perfect match for each other.
5. They met while Tony was in the military and have been together for over 20 years.
6. On July 1st of this year, the couple applied for a marriage license from the Norfolk Circuit Court Clerk. Because they are a same-sex couple, their request was denied.
7. The couple spoke today at AFER’s 10 a.m. news conference:
10. Together for nearly 30 years, they have lived in Virginia since 1982.
11. Standing in front of all their family and friends, they solidified their commitment to each other in a commitment ceremony.
The couple was married in California in 2008.