1. You probably recognize Charice Pempengco from her appearance as Sunshine Corazon on Glee:
2. You know, the nerdy girl with the glasses and power-house voice:
3. How could you forget this?
4. She also happens to be a Filipina pop superstar:
Charice has also released two platinum albums, her first back in 2010, and is the first Asian solo singer to land on Billboard’s Top 10. And don’t forget that Oprah Winfrey called her the, “most talented girl in the world.”
5. And she is gay.
6. This weekend the singer came out and confimed, “Yes, I am a lesbian.”
7. Charice met with Boy Abunda on the talk show The Buzz and admitted she identified as a lesbian:
Sorry Mommy, Carl…but this is me. I’m proud of myself, I love myself. That is why I’ve done this. To my fans, I know a lot of you are disappointed, some of you will probably leave me. Sorry. You know I’m a sincere person. From the bottom of my heart, sorry. I understand.
8. Speculation by tabloids in the Philippines had been building as Charice recently changed up her style to a more edgy and androgynous look.
9. When asked why this was the moment to come out, Charice responded:
“I’ve asked for a lot of signs; it’s really true when you feel it…I’ve done a lot of things for the ones I love, for my family for many years, I did it for them. Now I feel that this time I’d like to do things for myself.”
10. Following her announcement the supportive tweets flooded in:
Happy for Charice for coming out gay and proud. You are no less of a person and artist. Don’t mind the bashers.
Very brave announcement today from @OfficialCharice - the LGBT community supports you. http://t.co/ndjAQDdyK4
12. Including Pulitzer Prize-winning Filipino journalist Jose Antonio Vargas:
Jose Antonio Vargas
Charice didn’t really “come out.” She is letting people in. #muchrespectandadmiration
13. And Lea Salonga, who voiced Princess Jasmine and Mulan:
Dear @OfficialCharice have you any idea how many young people you inspired today? More power, blessings and love to you!!!
14. She sent out a heart-felt thank you to all her fans for the support:
15. What’s next for the newly out pop star?
Charice says, “My US manager is still Mark Johnston, nothing changed. Glenn Aldueza here in the Philippines. It’s nice to have people who know your likes and dislikes. I’m going to have a recording, which will be featured in a big project. There are also TV shows but I can’t talk yet. If I am allowed to talk, I will.”
- Joyce Mitchell, the prison worker who accused of helping two inmates escape from a New York prison, pleaded guilty and faces up to seven years in prison.