1. Archie Comic’s upcoming issue will feature a gay kiss, but that isn’t the end of the story.
According to the AP, Archie Comics will feature Kevin Keller kissing his boyfriend, Devon, in the No. 10 issue released this Aug. 7. The kiss will supposedly draw the attention of one disapproving Riverdale mom, who begins to throw a fit. Dan Parent, who writes and draws the upcoming issue, explains, “Kevin is kind of used to that, but Veronica records the whole thing and of course uploads it to the Riverdale equivalent of YouTube and that starts a bit of a debate.”
2. The inspiration for the storyline came after a previous controversy with the organization One Million Moms.
One Million Moms asked Toys R Us not to display “Life With Archie” No. 16 near its checkout aisles. The particular issue in question showed Kevin getting married. Toys R Us ignored the protest and went forward to run the comic in stores.
Parent called the new story a “playful poke” at the protest. The CEO and publisher of the strip, Jon Goldwater, added that in fact any kiss shown in the comic is a big step forward. “There aren’t that many on-panel kisses in the pages of Archie, but you often see the lipstick on Archie’s face afterward,” he said.
3. Get it Kevin!
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›