1. When you’re off duty but hear a noise that sounds just like your call tones.
3. Entertaining yourself while on standby.
4. When the tones drop, but no dispatch follows.
And for a moment, the world stands still.
5. Trying to find a pen on scene:
Didn’t you place at least five in your pocket this morning?
6. Finding scissors, gloves, and vital pads everywhere.
7. The day they stopped carrying your favorite brand of gloves.
10. Feeling like a slightly sadistic human being because of that.
13. Unleashing your creative side to keep yourself entertained.
15. That feeling when you get through a shift without getting any bodily fluids on your uniform!
16. Fear of the open mic.
18. How it feels the first time you back in the ambulance perfectly.
19. Feeling your bedside manner go downhill as the shift goes on.
20. Walking on scene and recognizing a frequent flier.
21. When you’re nearing the end of your shift and…
22. When the newbie on the crew says he or she, “Can’t wait to see some action!”
23. The stretcher brake becoming your worst enemy.
28. Walking on scene and wondering how you’re going to get the patient out of the room, let alone into the ambulance.
29. Having a steady flow of caffeine in your system at all times.
30. Getting back to the station after several calls in a row.
31. When you have an immobile patient on the 14th floor of a building – with no elevator.
32. Just about to take your boots off? Oh, OK:
34. When your patient tells the nurse a completely different personal history from what they told you on scene:
35. When people ask if you get holidays off:
What are holidays?
36. When the nurse asks why you didn’t get three complete sets of vitals.
37. Trying to get a history from a patient that doesn’t speak the same language as you.
39. When someone on the crew mentions what a slow day it has been.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›