Shot two began on a crane, with the Steadicam operator being gradually lowered to the ground before walking across the street. The last shot, in the interior, was filmed on a studio soundstage.
8. The original working title of the film was Birds of a Feather, and the preliminary versions of the script still show this title.
13. Mike Nichols had the cast study footage of drag queen performances prior to filming.
The drag queens in the film, who were all professional dancers, had to learn to perform in heels.
17. The song that Albert rehearses during the gum-chewing incident is entitled “Little Dream” and was written specifically for the film.
18. Robin Williams’ nickname for Gene Hackman in drag: “Betty White on steroids.”
19. Finally, during the “toast schmear” scene, director Mike Nichols was laughing so hard he had to be covered with a blanket.
And really, can you blame him?