We could all learn something from Beth Ditto.
Beth Ditto has become the queen of punk-rock fashion, but she grew up with little money in rural Arkansas. She told Style.com, ” I couldn’t even really afford good secondhand stuff actually. So I wore a lot of jeans and T-shirts, I was really butch in high school. In Arkansas that was enough to get you beat up.” Beth is now a fashion icon for girls around the world with her fearless fashion choices. She doesn’t just influence fashion, she completely embodies it.
1. Undo the rules.
“I love to break all the rules I was taught as a kid…I was told a lot not to wear horizontal stripes.”
2. You can look good AND be comfortable.
To the crazies running around in high heels:
3. Be fearless.
Beth Ditto has been praised by Italian fashion house front woman Donatella Versace for her “fearless attitude.”
7. Even at your worst, look your best.
Disorderly conduct shouldn’t lead to disorderly eyeliner.
8. Don’t be afraid to play with color:
9. But don’t be afraid of classic black either:
10. Challenge what fashion says is right:
Ditto’s reaction to the fact she is “challenging the norm of pop culture”:
11. It’s all about the eyes and the lips.
12. Show off your legs.
Especially if you’re actually on the runway.
14. Mess around with patterns.
15. Unleash your inner rock star.
16. Take pointers from the legends.
Paying homage to Marilyn Monroe.
17. Be loud!
- At least 30 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›