1. She dominated the game of tennis for more than a decade, earning 39 Grand Slam tennis titles.
3. And she knows how to rock a pair of glasses quite flawlessly.
4. She has dedicated her life to fighting for gender equality in sports, and wasn’t shy about speaking on the topic.
5. King, along with a group of other female tennis stars dubbed “The Original 9” fought for equal prize money for men and women in tournaments.
A fight that Venus Williams took up at Wimbledon.
6. She was challenged by tennis champ Bobby Riggs in the 1973 “Battle Of The Sexes.”
The event became a national spectacle, with a worldwide television audience of some 50 million viewers.
7. Even after her retirement, King didn’t stop championing for the causes she believes in.
She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama in 2009.