1. Dominique Ansel, the inventor of the cronut, has unsurprisingly been named the top pastry chef in the U.S. by the James Beard Foundation after the dessert has taken North America by storm.
Artur Debat/Artur Debat
2. The pastry was introduced to Dominique Ansel bakery in Soho, Manhattan, last spring and lines that go around the block are a regular sight.
3. The cronut also sparked a line of copycat attempts around the world. Dunkin’ Donuts launched a range of “New York Pie Donuts” in South Korea, for example.
4. Many bakeries in the UK have also embraced the cronut, although perhaps with slight variations on the name. Cocomayo, for example, introduced the Cocodoughs.
Cocomaya / Via cocomaya.co.uk
5. Meanwhile the Rinkoff Bakery has introduced the Crodough.
Rinkoff Bakery / Via rinkoffbakery.co.uk
Siraj Datoo is a political reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
In The News Today
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›
- President Obama is one vote away from sealing a historic nuclear deal with Iran after two Democratic senators backed the agreement. ›
- The fingerprints of the main suspect behind last month's deadly Bangkok shrine blast match those found on bomb-making material, Thai police say. ›