1. Dominique Ansel, the inventor of the cronut, has unsurprisingly been named the top pastry chef in the U.S. by the James Beard Foundation after the dessert has taken North America by storm.
Artur Debat/Artur Debat
2. The pastry was introduced to Dominique Ansel bakery in Soho, Manhattan, last spring and lines that go around the block are a regular sight.
3. The cronut also sparked a line of copycat attempts around the world. Dunkin’ Donuts launched a range of “New York Pie Donuts” in South Korea, for example.
4. Many bakeries in the UK have also embraced the cronut, although perhaps with slight variations on the name. Cocomayo, for example, introduced the Cocodoughs.
Cocomaya / Via cocomaya.co.uk
5. Meanwhile the Rinkoff Bakery has introduced the Crodough.
Rinkoff Bakery / Via rinkoffbakery.co.uk