2. The royal household cost the British taxpayer £35.7m in the last financial year, according to this annual report.
Let’s compare how much it would cost a regular citizen to do similar activities to the royals.
3. This is how much it costs to buy a house, on average, in the UK:
4. This is how much it cost Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall to refurbish their flat inside Kensington Palace.
This figure does not include furniture and fittings, the costs for which were paid by the couple.
5. This is how much it costs two regular citizens to go to Stoke-on-Trent.
This is the the cost of two first class anytime returns from London Euston to Stoke-on-Trent, bought a day in advance.
6. And this is how much it costs the Prince of Wales to go there on the royal train:
7. This is how much it costs two regular people to go to Worcester.
Again, a first-class anytime return
8. This is how much it cost the Prince of Wales:
On the royal train, obviously.
9. This is how much it costs regular people to fly to Munster in Germany.
In summer and on a direct flight.
10. And this is how much it cost the Duke of York to fly to Munster on a chartered flight.
11. This is how much it costs a regular person to fly from London to Edinburgh:
And that’s ignoring the £79 ticket on easyJet.
12. And this is how much it cost the Duke of York to take a chartered plane from Northolt to Edinburgh last October.
13. This is how much it costs two regular people to go on a 15-day tour in India:
This includes a direct flight in the peak of summer (end July), a luxury tour around the country and a personal allowance of £1,000 each.
- The Taliban has appointed Mullah Akhtar Mansour as its new Afghan leader.
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday "very likely" belongs to the same type of aircraft as missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
- Uber drivers near the International Airport of Mexico City were pelted with rocks, sticks, eggs, and flour on Wednesday. Local authorities are investigating.