Australian adventurer Steve Irwin died in a freak accident eight years ago.
The cameraman who filmed his death appeared on Australian TV to describe his friend’s final moments.
Steve Irwin’s cameraman Justin Lyons: “We Thought He Was Going to Live Forever.”
“[Steve] just sort of calmly looked up at me and said, ‘I’m dying’, and that was the last thing he said.”
Irwin, 44, was only the third person ever killed by a stingray in Australia. He will never be forgotten.
1. The time he hung out with an Inland Taipan.
2. THE MOST VENOMOUS SNAKE IN THE WORLD!!!
3. The time his baby son Bob helped him feed a crocodile at Australia Zoo.
4. The time Graham almost had him for lunch.
5. The time he was bitten by a snake. On TV.
6. And didn’t even flinch.
7. The time he was bitten on the nose by a bearded dragon.
10. The time he chased AND CAUGHT an emu!
11. The time he got freaked out by a spider.
13. The time he fell out of a boat. Twice.
14. The time he fell out of a tree.
15. The time he cried over the death of a crocodile.
16. The time he brought a python on Jay Leno.
17. The time Steve and his mate Russell brought snakes on The Today Show and one peed on Jay.
18. And the time he brought baby snakes on The Late Show with Conan O’Brien.
19. The poignant eulogy delivered by producer John Stainton in the aftermath of his death.
20. The unforgettable moment when John Williamson sang True Blue at Steve Irwin’s Memorial Service.
21. And the day marine conservation society Sea Shepherd named their flagship MY Steve Irwin.
Originally christened the MV Robert Hunter after the co-founder of Greenpeace, the boat was renamed in 2007 after Steve Irwin’s death.
Stephen Robert Irwin: February 22 1962 – September 4 2006. Gone, but never forgotten.
Watch the interview with Justin Lyons, the cameraman who was with Steve Irwin when he died.
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›