5. Cairns Esplanade is NOT suitable for swimming.
Marc McCormack/The Cairns Post
7. Holding triathlons in crocodile infested waters makes PERFECT sense.
13. Big snakes live in most roofs.
Brendan Francis / Newspix
16. Cyclones aren’t worth getting out of bed for unless they’re a Category 3 or above.
19. Particularly when it means you can’t go to school.
Derek Weeks / Twitter
20. “Sorry, can’t come to work today, road flooded.”
21. Though the rain can get annoying when it drowns out the TV.
27. But you like that local MP Bob Katter is such a big supporter of gay rights.
29. Fresh-off-the-trawler Coral Sea prawns out the back of a car. For $15 a kilo.
31. This is the only way to buy mangoes.
Benjamin Law / Via australiantraveller.com
32. If you’re paying more than $2 for anything, you’re being ripped off.
35. Parking tickets are outrageously expensive.
36. You can drive two days North without getting anywhere.
Charlie McKillop / / Via abc.net.au
38. You can enjoy the Great Barrier Reef and the world’s oldest rainforest. On the same day!
42. Far North Queensland’s beaches are spectacular. And empty.
Simon Crerar is founding editor of BuzzFeed Australia and is based in Sydney.
Here Are The Top Stories