1. After four years, three months and 24 days, Australia have reclaimed The Ashes.
2. There was jubilation in Perth and across the nation.
Amazing scenes!! I’m jumping around the lounge room high fiveing fresh air! #ashes #brilliant
4. Twitter had a hashtag ready.
Congratulations to the Aussie cricket team for winning the #Ashes. Tweet @CricketAus your congratulations! #TheUrnReturns
CA Digital Media
First time we’ve used this in Australia! Message of congrats in everyone’s timeline. #TheUrnReturns #Ashes
7. The PM was quick to send his congratulations.
Congratulations to Michael Clarke and the team on an emphatic victory. The urn returns! #Ashes
8. Labor’s leader glossed over the wilderness years.
Great to see the urn returned! Well done to @MClarke23 and his team. They’ve done us proud #ashes
9. Australia’s biggest brands jumped aboard.
And they’re home! Congratulations @CricketAus on a thrilling victory. #theurnreturns
Well done to the Australian Cricket Team on bringing home the #ashes !! @wwos9 @vegemite @marmite @MClarke23 #TheUrnReturns
10. The Australian captain was nominated for PM.
Michael Clarke is such a great speaker and always presents himself well, I think he should be our Prime Minister. #ashes #TheUrnReturns
11. The coach for a knighthood.
Arise Sir Boof. #Ashes
12. Some people had found the wait agonising.
4 years, 3 months, 24 days. 225 weeks. 1577 days. The almost unending wait comes to an end. #TheUrnReturns to its rightful place, Australia!
13. Celebrations were in order.
It’s DEFINITELY g&t time #TheAshes #TheUrnReturns #Ashesreturns
14. And who cares if they’re drinking Peroni!?
Australia win The Ashes and drink Peroni? What’s next - hummus and some chia loaf? Ah, who cares? They won. They can do what they want.
15. Cricket legends started their own hashtags.
Matthew Hayden AM
Australia is back in business with the Ashes returning after 4 years…..#happyasafatspider #Ashesreturns #Ashes
16. Hamish worried about the wicket.
It will be really awkward if the urn drops down the canyon on the crease and we can’t get it out. Other than that, perfect. #ashes
17. Andy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I’m on a Qantas plane, with a beer, that @RealHughJackman is on but still feel unAustralian that I missed the final wicket! #TheUrnReturns
18. Best. Christmas. Pressie. Ever.
CA Digital Media
Merry Mitchmas Australia! #TheUrnReturns
19. What next!?
Weâ€™re dreaming of a whitewash Christmas, just like the ones we used to know! #Ashes #uniteAus
20. Bragging rights for starters!
You bloody ripper boys, gives us something to gloat about for a few years. #Ashes
Piers Morgan was forced to eat humble pie.
Congratulations @MClarke23 and your team. Australia have been as ferocious and determined as we’ve been weak, gutless & embarrassing #Ashes
England’s supporters offered a backhanded compliment.
Barmy Army Cricket
Congratulations Australia on regaining the urn, your performances merited more supporters but deserved all the same. #we’llbeback
21. And a long night of well deserved partying for Man of the Match Steve Smith and his mates!
Wow! What a feeling #urnreturned
The 15cm tall Ashes urn contains a burnt cricket bail.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›