1. You may have heard a rumour that Australia’s oceans are rather special.
3. Australia has 35,876 km of coastline (22,292 miles) – and is surrounded by oceans teeming with wildlife.
4. We’re not saying you’re guaranteed a spectacular marine encounter each time you jump into the ocean.
6. So what are we waiting for? Let’s take a trip down under, Down Under.
7. The Great Barrier Reef is one of the world’s turtle breeding hotspots.
8. From a turtle’s point of view, there are definitely worse places to hang out.
9. And turtles have been hanging out here for some 150 million years!
10. With the GBR covering 344,400 square kilometers, you’re pretty much guaranteed to see a turtle if you spend even a little bit of time underwater (or looking underwater from the surface).
12. Of the seven species of marine turtles in the world, six occur in Australian waters, including this lovely loggerhead.
13. Hey, if you spent 200 years in the East Australian Current, you’d have barnacles on YOUR head too!
14. Of course turtles don’t just stick to the 2,300km of the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland. You can see them in all Australia’s oceans – like here at Byron Bay off New South Wales.
17. Do yourself a favour and come for a swim with one of these fabulous fellas.
18. Swimming with a turtle is an experience you will NEVER FORGET!
22. Swimming with sea lions is another must do to add to your bucket list.
24. Australia’s waters are full of dolphins too. And they’re a pretty photogenic bunch!
25. Like here in the crystal clear waters of Kangaroo Island, South Australia.
27. Australian waters are home to a large number of magnificent marine mammals, including 45 species of whales, dolphins and porpoises.
29. Or the wonderful whale sharks, the biggest, friendliest fish in the sea.
30. So what have we learned? Dip your head down under Down Under and you’re in for a good time.
Simon Crerar is founding editor of BuzzFeed Australia and is based in Sydney.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)