1. Australia is a dangerous place and our American cousins know what’s important on a map.
2. According to Americans posting these maps at reddit.com/r/funny, everything is out to kill humans.
4. Who cares what we call our States?
No interest in placing NSW, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia the NT and ACT in the right place. Ways to die? Easy.
5. Australia’s oceans teem with killers.
NSW = snakes. Victoria = Spiders.
8. Unless you’re hungry.
Small print: sadly there are no Outback Steakhouses in the Outback.
10. But, others…
Deserts full of kangaroos? New Zealand swallowed by coral?
12. Some Septics know our cultural icons.
15. Others remember the coastline, but not much else.
16. And then there’s the self-educators, who learned everything they know from a Disney movie.
What do you mean you’ve never seen The Rescuers Down Under?
Small print: this photograph was actually taken at Disney World, USA. Sorry.
21. Tasmania? Not even on the map.
Queensland: home of Tasmanian Devils and Road Runners.
25. 23m people live in Australia. Who knew? Apparently not your average American.
No, Australia isn’t just the USA with no people, and no, there’s no wang. But well done on Sydney.
26. Over The Ditch? New Zealand aka The Shire.
4.5m Kiwis live in New Zealand. Only a few are Hobbits.
27. To be honest, Australia is a pretty complex country.
29. Though our State names are a little baffling.
Close but no cigar. If Redditor Keyserchief had followed through on his own logic, South Australia would have been correctly labelled. And West Australia is almost Western Australia.
31. Still, complete lack of geographical and cultural knowledge aside, we like your American depictions of Australia much better than the Pommie ones.
Ho Ho Ho. We may be a nation of convicts chaps, but we’re smashing you at cricket.