1. It was pretty exciting to wake up to snow in Cairo, a city where sweltering sun and dust storms are more the norm.
#PHOTO: Snow fall in New #Cairo this morning (via @IngezNow)
“@AmrElGabry For the first time in 112 years, it snows in #Cairo “
Ø§Ù„Ø¯Ù†ÙŠØ§ Ø¨Ø±Ø¯ ÙˆØ§Ù„ØªÙ„Ø¬ Ø¹Ù„Ù‰ Ø§Ù„Ø¹Ø±Ø¨ÙŠØ§Øª ÙˆÙƒÙ„Ù‡ Ø¨Ø§Ù„Ø³Ù„Ù…ÙŠØ© #Ø§Ù„Ø±ØØ§Ø¨
4. Photos began to pour in from across Egypt, as the Arabic word for snow - #ثلج - began to trend on Twitter.
The Big Pharaoh
Snow in Ras El Bar, North Egypt. Unbelievable. Via @AlMasryAlYoum
Video from St. Catherine’s today, featuring a Bedouin playing with snow https://t.co/TlOWU5KHoJ
Cairo Live 24/7
St Catherines ,December 13, 2013 #Sinai #Egypt #snow
“@belharesya: Ok, I had to share this: #Sinai #Egypt #CamelsintheSnow ” Ø¬Ù…Ù„ Ù‚Ø·Ø¨ÙŠ
8. Of course, some people were worried about the cold.
In Giza, the Sphinx is about to freeze. If he had a nose, he would sneeze. #dayaftertomorrowincairo
10. Others were frustrated with the flooding that followed.
Mohamed El Dahshan
Every single effing winter we discover that #Egypt seemingly doesn’t have a single architect that heard about managing snow/water evacuation
11. And some wondered whether Egypt’s much-lauded General Abdel Fatah Al-Sisi was responsible for the snow.
Rumor has it that Sisi brought snow to Egypt because he wants to create his own Siberia.
Ungrateful #Egypt! Unlike any other leader, Sisi gives you snow for Christmas!
2 bad there aren’t any Christians left
13. Or whether it was part of Sisi’s alleged dreams of the future.
If Sadat told Sisi about this weather and Sisi never warned us, Iâ€™ll be disappointed.
14. But mostly people were just really excited about the snow!
Incredible. Snow in Cairo, Egypt this AM - the first such occurrence in 112 years. Via @AmrElGabry.
Ranya Khalifa Ø±Ø§Ù†ÙŠØ§
I have never seen snow in #Egypt. So today, Friday the 13th incidentally, in the year 2013, is historical for many of us #SnowInCairo
#PHOTO: Just like the ‘western movies’: kids playing in the snow in New #Cairo, #Egypt:
I figured it out, Cairo and Kiev switched places! #SnowInCairo #ProtestsInKiev
PHOTO: Beanies and jackets are out as it snows in New #Cairo earlier this morning #Egypt (via @omarsa2r)
20. One breath taking photo of St. Catherine’s Monastery in the Sinai, however, turned out to be old.
Image of snow on monastery in #Sinai, #Egypt, is an old image; in circulation since at least January 8: https://t.co/BNgEjDyZuc #DailyDebunk
22. But in the end, Egypt was happy to again be making history.
It’s snowing in several parts of Cairo, Alexandria & other cities. This is very rare to see in #Egypt!
23. Updated Saturday, 8am GMT : There are disagreements over when it last snowed in Cairo.
Egypt’s Meteorological Authority, which told Buzzfeed on Friday that it was “correct that there has not been snow in Cairo in 112 years,” on Saturday said they were still checking figures.
“It has been very many years, we belive over 100 years but we are still checking the figures,” one official told Buzzfeed by phone.
The figure of 112 years was reported widely by local Egyptian media. On Twitter, Amr El Gabry said he was the original source for what he called a “guestimate” of 112 years. He later revised that figure to 122 years, citing an article.