1. TalkSPORT has suspended tweeting from all of their accounts, after expressing dissatisfaction with Twitter’s response to abusive tweets sent to presenter Stan Collymore.
2. Former footballer Stan Collymore has repeatedly complained about racist abuse he had received on Twitter. The latest round of abuse followed the pundit’s suggestion that Liverpool’s Luis Suarez cheated during last Saturday’s Aston Villa match.
4. Earlier today Twitter released this statement, stressing that it is up to users to report tweets.
5. In response, talkSPORT has stressed that they will not be tweeting from any of their accounts until “the station feels that Twitter is responding appropriately.”
“Collymore received a series of offensive messages – including death threats and racists tweets - that were posted after he suggested Liverpool striker Luis Suarez cheated by diving during last Saturday’s match against Aston Villa. While a number of the tweets are subject to police investigation, Collymore accuses Twitter of not doing enough to combat the abuse.
talkSPORT has called for Twitter to pledge to cooperate fully and expediently with police whenever the company is asked for information on racist / homophobic / sexist / anti-disability / anti-semitic hate messages. It has asked that Twitter acts immediately to address complaints about offensive hate messages and that these illegal tweets are deleted as soon as possible after Twitter receives a complaint. talkSPORT has also asked that filtering is put in place to prevent hate language being used in tweets.”
6. Last summer journalist and feminist activist Caroline Criado-Perez received numerous threats of rape and murder after a campaign to put Jane Austen on a £5 banknote.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- The World Health Organization says new cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Guinea hit the lowest point in more than a year last week.
- Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.