1. “Bat out of hell” = 3-8 meters per second.
Based on the recorded flight speeds of bats. It’s slower than Usain Bolt, but that depends on the severity of Hellfire.
2. “Blink of an eye” = 100-400 milliseconds.
The time it takes for you to touch your eyelids together is not faster than blink of an eye, incidentally.
3. “Like a speeding bullet” = 1200 meters per second.
Based on the average speed of a bullet coming out of a high-powered rifle. This is basically the speed of Superman.
4. “Lightning fast” = 60 miles per second.
Based on the time it takes for lightning to hit the ground from the clouds. It’s faster when greased.
5. “In a jiffy” = approximately one nanosecond.
About a “light-foot,” or the time it takes for light to travel 12 inches.
6. “Flash in the pan” = 2.8 meters per second.
Based on the flame velocity of commercial propane, because we are cooking with gas now.
7. “Get into high gear” = 50 milliseconds.
The time it takes the supercar Lamborghini Aventador to shift gears, in which a neuron could fire only 50 times.
8. “In a flash” = 186,000 miles per second.
The speed of light, or fast enough to actually perceive the present.
9. “Split-second” = half of a second.
10. “Drop of a hat” = 0.5 seconds.
Hat dropped from shoulder height using free fall equations and Earth’s gravity. This also happens to be a split-second.
11. “Before you know it” = 5 milliseconds.
12. “Like wildfire” = 14 miles per hour.
Based on how fast a wildfire can move through an area, depending on wind and other factors. You could run faster than this.
13. “Make it snappy” = 15-20 miles per hour.
Based on slow-motion video of people snapping their fingers. Considering the speeds, you could make it snappy like wildfire.
14. “Pedal to the metal” = 14.5 seconds.
Based on the time for fastest road car to go from 0 to 200 miles per hour.
15. “Snail’s pace” = 0.0028 meters per second.
Based on the speed of a dang fast garden snail.
16. “Glacial pace” = 30 meters per day.
Based on the speed of the fastest glacier—the Jakobshavn Glacier. This is slower than a snail’s pace.
17. “Full throttle” = 36,300 miles per hour.
Based on the Earth-relative velocity of New Horizons spacecraft launch—the fastest thing with a throttle. Though incredibly quick, this is only 17% of greased lightning.
18. “Beat to the draw” = 0.21 seconds.
Based on the (highly disputed) fast-draw gun-slinging record. This is almost faster than the average human reaction time.