10. And when they take your blood, they DON’T EVEN USE IT FOR FOOD.
Mosquitoes can live on nectar and plant sugars and be totally fine. But since female mosquitoes are jerks, they use blood as protein for their eggs. That means every time you get bitten, you HELP MAKE MORE MOSQUITOES. Ugh.
16. And now the Asian Tiger mosquito, an even more awful breed, is spreading around the U.S.
Black-and-white Tiger mosquitoes are more aggressive than the garden variety, and will attack you during the day as well as dusk and dawn. Their eggs can also survive a cold winter.
21. Some researchers don’t even think it would harm the global ecosystem to eliminate the mosquito.
MAYBE WITH LASERS.
- Up to 150,000 penguins may have been killed by an iceberg blocking their access to the sea.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.