1. Apple previewed its new iOS! Leaving a lot of design nerds talking.
3. It seems that your shiny new Apple products are going to start looking less like this…
6. In order to teach people unfamiliar with computers how to use them.
You dispose of files in a digital “trash can,” just like the one next to your desk. And “files” go in “folders.” The novelty!
7. And it continued to evolve the concept.
Giving us gaming apps that look like classic green-felted game boards.
8. But now, people know how to use computers.
(Pretty much everyone.)
9. And user interfaces don’t need to reference physical objects for us to understand them.
10. In some cases, skeuomorphs interfere with utility.
These knobs are beautiful to look at, but annoying to use.
11. So digital design trends are moving toward a flatter, simplistic look.
12. And the future of skeuomorphs is hotly contested.
Among, you know, nerds.
15. Paper embellishments…
You may take TWO lines of notes. Just two. No more.
17. Wood and stitching details…
19. Yet the old design mantra remains: form should follow function.
When people know how to use technology, the visual analogies aren’t necessary. And what’s unnecessary doesn’t follow the principles of good design.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- Michel Platini, the current UEFA president, will be a candidate in the 2016 FIFA election to replace Sepp Blatter ⚽️