Spirit airlines, I hate you.
1. So, you have to book a flight. You know you should have started this process a lot sooner.
2. You hit up Kayak and Hipmunk.
3. Hullo, what’s this? One airline’s flights seem to be much cheaper than the others.
5. You’ve never heard of this airline. But as soon as you say “$40 less” to your friends, they say to book it stat. So you do. Perhaps it’s a rare reward from the universe for procrastinating.
6. Big day’s here! You head to the airport, carry-on bag in tow. You’re so glad your flight gets in at 6 p.m. so you can enjoy Friday and Saturday night with your buddies.
7. You didn’t check in online, so you do it at the airport. Wait. What? $50 for your extremely carefully packed carry-on? There must be a misunderstanding.
8. “Actually,” the nonplussed Spirit Airlines attendant informs you, “you could have paid just $35, had you checked in online. Yes, for your carry-on. Better travel with just a purse next time like a lady of the night, dawg.”
(A real checked bag, that’s another $30 to $45.)