Boasting 100,000 residents over the age of 55, The Villages may be the fastest growing city in America. It’s a notorious boomtown for boomers who want to spend their golden years with access to 11 a.m. happy hours, thousands of activities, and no-strings-attached sex, all lorded over by one elusive billionaire. Read it at BuzzFeed.
2. The Right Thing to Do vs. The State of Florida — SB Nation
Thirteen years ago, 18-year-old Devaughn Darling died after a workout in a hot Florida State University gym. Michael Kruse asks why the school has refused to pay the $1.8 million courts say his family is owed. Read it at SB Nation.
3. The Rise of the Post-Clinic Abortion — New York Times Magazine
Emily Bazelon profiles an activist named Rebecca Gomperts who is fighting to deliver abortion pills to women in countries where it is illegal. The crisis she’s combating is real and largely unreported: “The World Health Organization estimated in 2008 that 21.6 million unsafe abortions took place that year worldwide, leading to about 47,000 deaths.” Read it at the New York Times Magazine.
4. Eighty Years of Fergusons — BuzzFeed
The story of violent black protest in the U.S. is an old one, Adam Serwer writes — it’s self-destructive but it sometimes gets results. Read it at BuzzFeed.
5. Jerry Football — ESPN The Magazine
Don Van Natta Jr. on Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: “After the 2010 death of New York Yankees boss George Steinbrenner, Jones assumed the mantle of America’s mercurial team owner, hell-bent on doing it his way and constrained only by a salary cap.” Read it at ESPN The Magazine.
6. The Glue — Grantland
Phil Hartman is one of the most beloved actors in Saturday Night Live history. Bryan Curtis takes a look at his life and legacy as revealed by an upcoming biography. Read it at Grantland.
7. Schlocky Charms — Entertainment Weekly
Clark Collis traces the unlikely story of how Leprechuan spawned five sequels, a new reboot, and launched Jennifer Aniston’s career. Read it at Entertainment Weekly.
8. I Grew Up in a John Hughes Movie — BuzzFeed
Five years after the beloved — and perhaps underrated — teen-movie maestro’s death, a look by Jason Diamond at what it was like to come of age in the suburbs that inspired his fictional Shermer, Ill., but never quite seeing yourself on the screen. Read it at BuzzFeed.
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.