Tim Boyle / Getty Images
1. Dunkin’ Donuts’ original name was Open Kettle. The restaurant changed names in 1950.
flickr.com/dpstyles/3816143385/in/photolist-fwmut-mv4XZv-6gnQUj-6PdJtB / Creative Commons
2. Coffee cost just 10 cents a cup when the restaurant first opened.
3. Munchkins debuted in 1972, but the restaurant didn’t serve bagels until 1996.
4. The original Dunkin’ Donuts in Quincy, Mass., is still in operation — and actually has been renovated to look like it did in the 1950s!
5. Dunkin’ Donuts claims there are more than 15,000 ways to order your coffee at the chain.
6. Dunkin’ Donuts sells 30 cups of coffee every second.
Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images
8. 2,000 coffee beans go into every pound of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee.
Sean Gallup / Getty Images
9. Dunkin’ Donuts actually employs coffee tasting experts. On average, they taste 200 cups of coffee A DAY.
10. The company also takes its food VERY seriously. Dunkin’ Donuts’ executive chef Stan Frankenthaler is a three-time James Beard Award nominee (which is sort of like the Oscars for restaurants).
11. Dunkin’ Donuts has more than 10,000 restaurants in 38 states and 32 countries across the world.
12. Madonna worked at the Dunkin’ Donuts in Times Square, but was fired on her first day for squirting jelly on a customer.
BuzzFeed / youtube.com?v=w0Mul3NRbuY#t=76
13. OK, so you probably know Dunkin’ Donuts sells Peep donuts around Easter. But did you know the company used to sell Easter Egg donuts back in the day?
The Reading Eagle / Via news.google.com
14. There are 106 types of donuts that Dunkin’ sells in the United States.
15. And Dunkin’ offers some pretty crazy donuts internationally. In Singapore, you can get wasabi cheese and seaweed cheese donuts, in some Asian countries you can get mochi donuts, and in China you can get a dried pork donut.
16. When Prince William & Kate Middleton got married, Dunkin’ Donuts offered a limited-edition Royal Wedding Donut.
18. In 2011, a New Jersey couple got married in a Dunkin’ Donuts restaurant on Route 42. In 2005, a Pennsylvania couple got married at a Philadelphia Dunkin’ Donuts!
William Thomas Cain / Getty Images
19. And finally, select Dunkin’ Donuts stayed open while the rest of Boston was on lockdown following the 2013 Marathon bombings — and even offered donuts to cops free of charge!
We've got your WKND covered.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- President Obama is visiting New Orleans neighborhoods today to mark the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. ›
- Reporters across the U.S. are posting #WeStandWithWDBJ tributes on social media following Wednesday's on-air killing of two journalists. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said (on Faceboook, obviously) that one billion people used the service on Monday. ›