1. Richard Graham, the MP for Gloucester, England, is backing away from controversial statements he made regarding rape.
2. During an interview from Friday with local newspaper The Citizen, he was quoted addressing the safety of young women out alone at night.
3. Graham, posting on his personal blog, said his quote was misunderstood.
I stick by these words. When asked more questions by the reporter I gave examples of things – including getting drunk or wearing clothes that are hard to run away in – that might increase rather than reduce risk for young women.
Encouraging a sensible approach to risk management in no way intimates ANY excuse for predatory behaviour, let alone rape, and I have asked The Citizen to clarify that and to apologise…
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›