1. Richard Graham, the MP for Gloucester, England, is backing away from controversial statements he made regarding rape.
2. During an interview from Friday with local newspaper The Citizen, he was quoted addressing the safety of young women out alone at night.
3. Graham, posting on his personal blog, said his quote was misunderstood.
I stick by these words. When asked more questions by the reporter I gave examples of things – including getting drunk or wearing clothes that are hard to run away in – that might increase rather than reduce risk for young women.
Encouraging a sensible approach to risk management in no way intimates ANY excuse for predatory behaviour, let alone rape, and I have asked The Citizen to clarify that and to apologise…
- Thai police have found more bomb-making materials in a second apartment, following Saturday's arrest in Bangkok's deadly shrine blast. ›
- Wes Craven, who directed "Scream" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street," has died of brain cancer. He was 76. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›