1. “Two teenage girls were arrested for allegedly using drugged milkshakes to knock out the parents of one of the girls so they could use the Internet.”
2. “Internet access at the Rocklin home was routinely shut off at 10 p.m.”
3. “The parents drank about a quarter of the milkshakes but didn’t finish them, saying they tasted funny and were grainy.”
4. “The shakes – loaded with prescription sleep aids allegedly provided by the friend.”
5. “The parents awoke at 1 a.m. with unexplained hangover symptoms, but went back to sleep.”
6. “With the headache and grogginess still present, the parents went to the Rocklin police station to pick up a drug test kit.”
7. “When the parents tested positive, they alerted the police, and the girls were taken to juvenile hall.”
8. “What the girls did on the Internet that night is not yet clear.”
“‘Teens often fear being left out of ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ events, which they might experience on the Internet,’ said Gordon Richards, executive director of EMQ FamiliesFirst.”
9. “The teens were arrested on charges of conspiracy and willfully mingling a pharmaceutical with food.”
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at email@example.com.