2. He’s a cool-as-heck dog that rides around Istanbul on his human’s shoulders.
3. Reuters snapped this photo of S.M.D. (Sunglasses Motorcycle Dog) riding around Takism Sqaure during the protests on Sunday.
4. It appears that S.M.D. has been hanging out in the area throughout most of the protests, occupying the park with the rest of the activists.
Guy that was photographed yesterday sleeping with his dog + mask + glasses, here again ful awake at Gezi Park
5. S.M.D. and his human are park regulars, according to a protester who spoke with BuzzFeed on Wednesday via Facebook Chat.
6. S.M.D. often dresses up in a Turkish soccer jersey and barks at park-goers wearing the jerseys of rival soccer teams.
7. He’s often called “The Hipster Dog” or “The Riot Dog Of Istanbul” by Turkish social media users.
The Riot Dog of Istanbul! #occupygezi #taksim #direngaziparki
8. Here’s a photo of both him and his human wearing protective eyewear.
- Doctors Without Borders is demanding a war crimes investigation into the U.S. bombing of its Afghan hospital. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar have won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›