1. Gilberton, Penn., Police Chief Mark Kessler made the news last week for threatening on YouTube to shoot “libtards.”
Armed members of Kessler’s CSF militia set up an armed perimeter around Gilberton Borough meeting yesterday. #PA #p2
2. As the video went viral, Gilberton mayor’s office originally said that Kessler would not be disciplined.
Decision on #Gilberton Pa. Police chief Mark Kessler. Crowd at borough bldg. @pennlive
3. The borough council in Gilberton, however, decided to suspended Kessler on Thursday.
#Gilberton post game: media surrounding suspended chief #markkessler. @pennlive #gunrights
4. The council said he used “borough property for non-borough purposes without prior borough permission” while shooting his YouTube videos.
5. Kessler was suspended without pay for 30 days.
Gilberton Borough police chief, Mark Kessler has been suspended for 30 days without pay.
6. Kessler’s council meeting, according to CNN, drew thousands of gun rights activists.
@DanGleiter: #Gilberton Pa. Police chief Mark Kessler (sunglasses, black shirt) @pennlive
7. Throughout the day, crowds of heavily armed protesters assembled outside of the meeting.
Riot? MT @JohnLuciew: Scene building in #Gilberton.Heard: #markkessler being persecuted by mainstream clowns.
At the Gilberton borough meeting on Chief Mark Kessler’s behavior in his viral auto-weapon firing video
@JohnLuciew Don’t worry I’m sure they’re responsible gun owners and not racist militia nutjobs. Right? #MarkKessler
10. Mayor Mary Lou Hannon said that she still supports Kessler’s right to free speech.
More gathering in #Gilberton for meeting on chief #MarkKessler. @pennlive
11. Aside from his now-viral YouTube videos, Kessler was also criticized for organizing a “volunteer group” that resembled a militia.
Show of force and patriotism outside #Gilberton hall as fate of chief #MarkKessler to be decided. @pennlive
12. Kessler wrote on his website that local authorities were conspiring against him, calling them liars and hacks.
#Gilberton sign: Impeach #Obama. #markkessler for president. @pennlive #gunrights
- U.S. President Barack Obama visited Oregon on Friday to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›