2. Katie Heim read the poem on Monday afternoon as part of the testimony in front of the Texas Senate’s Health and Human Services Committee.
3. A transcript of her poem:
If my vagina was a gun, you would stand for its rights,
You would ride on buses and fight all the fights.
If my vagina was a gun, you would treat it with care,
You wouldn’t spill all its secrets because, well, why go there.
If my vagina was a gun, you’d say what it holds is private
From cold dead hands we could pry, you surely would riot.
If my vagina was a gun, its rights would all be protected,
no matter the body count or the children affected.
If my vagina was a gun, I could bypass security,
concealed carry laws would ensure I’d have impunity.
If my vagina was a gun, I wouldn’t have to beg you,
I could hunt this great land and do all the things men do.
But my vagina is not a gun, it is a mightier thing,
With a voice that rings true making lawmakers’ ears ring.
Vaginas are not delicate, they are muscular and magic,
So stop messing with mine, with legislation that’s tragic.
My vagina’s here to demand from the source,
Listen to the voices of thousands or feel their full force.
4. Katie went on to clarify her poem’s point on Twitter on Tuesday.
Vaginas v guns; both dangerous. How can your gun be more private than my vagina? #ifmyvaginawasagun
5. And more than a few Twitter users picked it up.
LOLPAC Left Out Loud
#IfMyVaginaWasAGun (the official poem) #UniteBlue #p2 #ConnectTheLeft Please RT to share:
#IfMyVaginaWasAGun is trending and the first thing I though of was that South Park episode with Oprah ..
#IfMyVaginaWasAGun I’d shoot Dave first..
#IfMyVaginaWasAGun I’d be treated like the fuckin Queen I am! Bow…cuz that trigger could get pulled at any time
- Early New Hampshire primary exit polls show independent voters are split between Republican and Democratic candidates 🇺🇸