1. The Texas House of Representative Monday passed legislation that includes a ban on most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
2. During the debate over the legislation, the bill’s sponsor, state Rep. Jodie Laubenberg, compared emergency rape kits to dilation and curettage.
This is what Democracy looks like! RT| @CecileRichards Check out the amazing folks| in Texas about #SB5. #txlege
3. Laubenberg shocked constituents when she said that rape kits were essentially the same thing as an abortion.
4. Laubenberg’s full comments on rape kits causing abortions, per the Associated Press:
“In the emergency room they have what’s called rape kits where a woman can get cleaned out. The woman had five months to make that decision, at this point we are looking at a baby that is very far along in its development.”
5. Her comments have made her the subject of ridicule and outrage.
NARAL Pro-Choice TX
Oh our bad, it’s worse: Laubenberg thinks a rape kit is the same as an abortion. #txlege #HB60 #SB5
My mind is still reeling with wtf’s over Jody Laubenberg’s rape kit explanation.
Rep. Jody Laubenberg. Elected by Texans for Texans. How sadly ignorant for an adult woman, a legislator, to say a rape kit ends pregnancy.
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.