1. Coffee County Commissioner Barry West, a local politician from Tennessee posted this photo on his Facebook.
2. The American Muslim Advisory Council came across the photo and were furious.
Coffee County Commissioner Barry West thinks this is the way to “wink at Muslims”. Such hate is unacceptable. http://t.co/haarXnS9DI— ACO
3. The AMAC encouraged their members to “blast” his phone number.
Please do leave a voicemail for Coffee County Commissioner Barry West demanding he apologize to the Muslim Community at 931-728-9402.— AMAC
5. The Tullahoma News then reached to West about the picture on Tuesday, who did not back down from the photo’s “point”:
West was asked by The News if he is prejudiced toward Muslims.
“I’m prejudiced against anyone who’s trying to tear down this country, Muslims, Mexicans, anybody,” he said. “If you come into this country illegally or harm us or take away benefits, I’m against it.”
The posting remained on Facebook until Tuesday morning after West was contacted by The News.
West, who said he is a Vietnam veteran, added that he wasn’t trying to make a political statement, but he was “making a point.”
6. Coffee County Mayor David Pennington (pictured right) released a statement concerning the photo.
- Shannon Miles, who is suspected of ambushing and killing a Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy, was arrested Saturday and charged with capital murder. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›