1. Coffee County Commissioner Barry West, a local politician from Tennessee posted this photo on his Facebook.
2. The American Muslim Advisory Council came across the photo and were furious.
Coffee County Commissioner Barry West thinks this is the way to “wink at Muslims”. Such hate is unacceptable. http://t.co/haarXnS9DI— ACO
3. The AMAC encouraged their members to “blast” his phone number.
Please do leave a voicemail for Coffee County Commissioner Barry West demanding he apologize to the Muslim Community at 931-728-9402.— AMAC
5. The Tullahoma News then reached to West about the picture on Tuesday, who did not back down from the photo’s “point”:
West was asked by The News if he is prejudiced toward Muslims.
“I’m prejudiced against anyone who’s trying to tear down this country, Muslims, Mexicans, anybody,” he said. “If you come into this country illegally or harm us or take away benefits, I’m against it.”
The posting remained on Facebook until Tuesday morning after West was contacted by The News.
West, who said he is a Vietnam veteran, added that he wasn’t trying to make a political statement, but he was “making a point.”
6. Coffee County Mayor David Pennington (pictured right) released a statement concerning the photo.
- A judge ruled that the six Baltimore officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, a black man allegedly killed by police in April, will have individual trials. ›
- Senate Democrats have secured enough votes to uphold the Iran nuclear deal when Congress votes on it later this month. ›
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›