A number of porcupines huddled together for warmth on a cold day in winter; but, as they began to prick one another with their quills, they were obliged to disperse. However the cold drove them together again, when just the same thing happened… In the same way the need of society drives the human porcupines together, only to be mutually repelled by the many prickly and disagreeable qualities of their nature.
-German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer
3. A spiny little bear monster
5. But cannot give it or receive it
7. Making its way through life like all of us
9. Misunderstood, best kept at arm’s length
10. But loving nonetheless
11. Sometimes we hurt those close to us
13. Affectionate but dangerous
15. And so we soldier on
16. Doing the best we can with our prickly unchangeable nature
17. Deep down we’re all cuddly and warm
18. So won’t you consider the porcupine?
- A judge ruled that the six Baltimore officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, a black man allegedly killed by police in April, will have individual trials. ›
- Senate Democrats have secured enough votes to uphold the Iran nuclear deal when Congress votes on it later this month. ›
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›