1. Army Sgt. Brendan Marrocco, a 26-year-old from Staten Island, New York, lost four limbs in an explosion while serving overseas.
2. These photos were taken in July before the surgery, with Brendan sporting a prosthetic arm.
3. Brendan found out late last year he would be eligible for a complex marathon surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
4. On Dec. 18, Brendan underwent a 13-hour double-arm transplant, only the seventh such procedure in U.S. history.
5. Brendan documented the long and arduous process on Instagram: “About a week after surgery. Was very swollen. Badass #scars”
6. “3 plates about 20 screws and about 4 feet of new scars and I have arms again.”
7. There have only been 60 patients around the world who have received arm transplants.
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- Adele's record-breaking album "25" has now sold more than 3 million copies in the U.S. ›