1. Disney has made Merida from Brave its 11th princess, and with that move comes Merida’s “new” look.
2. Her coronation ceremony as the 11th Disney princess on May 11:
3. Brenda Chapman, who won an Oscar for writing and co-directing Brave, is furious about the “sexist marketing move.”
4. Chapman went on to say, “It’s horrible! Merida was created to break that mold — to give young girls a better, stronger role model, a more attainable role model, something of substance, not just a pretty face that waits around for romance.”
5. There’s also a Change.org petition with over 115,000 supporters.
6. From the petition page:
Merida was the princess that countless girls and their parents were waiting for — a strong, confident, self-rescuing princess ready to set off on her next adventure with her bow at the ready. She was a princess who looked like a real girl, complete with the ‘imperfections’ that all people have.
7. Twitter is full of angry users wondering why Disney had to make Merida sexier.
I hate Merida’s redesign!
I HATE new Princess Merida.
i love that today is Princess Merida’s Coronation at Magic Kingdom as one of the Princesses, but I really hate the makeover they gave her.
The Hungry Mouse
Hate the new look â€œ@SamuelAAdams: Disney gives Merida a princess makeover; BRAVE creator blasts back: http://t.co/6pOMQHRLZIâ€
- The U.S. airstrike on a Doctors Without Borders hospital that killed at least 30 people last month happened as a "direct result of avoidable human error," the Pentagon said. ›
- All charges have been dismissed against a popular protest organizer in Chicago. He was arrested Tuesday during protests over a video showing the police shooting of a black teen. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›