1. Disney has made Merida from Brave its 11th princess, and with that move comes Merida’s “new” look.
2. Her coronation ceremony as the 11th Disney princess on May 11:
3. Brenda Chapman, who won an Oscar for writing and co-directing Brave, is furious about the “sexist marketing move.”
4. Chapman went on to say, “It’s horrible! Merida was created to break that mold — to give young girls a better, stronger role model, a more attainable role model, something of substance, not just a pretty face that waits around for romance.”
5. There’s also a Change.org petition with over 115,000 supporters.
6. From the petition page:
Merida was the princess that countless girls and their parents were waiting for — a strong, confident, self-rescuing princess ready to set off on her next adventure with her bow at the ready. She was a princess who looked like a real girl, complete with the ‘imperfections’ that all people have.
7. Twitter is full of angry users wondering why Disney had to make Merida sexier.
I hate Merida’s redesign!
I HATE new Princess Merida.
i love that today is Princess Merida’s Coronation at Magic Kingdom as one of the Princesses, but I really hate the makeover they gave her.
The Hungry Mouse
Hate the new look â€œ@SamuelAAdams: Disney gives Merida a princess makeover; BRAVE creator blasts back: http://t.co/6pOMQHRLZIâ€
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The World Bank announced that for the first time it is forecasting the rate of extreme global poverty to drop below 10% in 2015 . ›