1. Disney has made Merida from Brave its 11th princess, and with that move comes Merida’s “new” look.
2. Her coronation ceremony as the 11th Disney princess on May 11:
3. Brenda Chapman, who won an Oscar for writing and co-directing Brave, is furious about the “sexist marketing move.”
4. Chapman went on to say, “It’s horrible! Merida was created to break that mold — to give young girls a better, stronger role model, a more attainable role model, something of substance, not just a pretty face that waits around for romance.”
5. There’s also a Change.org petition with over 115,000 supporters.
6. From the petition page:
Merida was the princess that countless girls and their parents were waiting for — a strong, confident, self-rescuing princess ready to set off on her next adventure with her bow at the ready. She was a princess who looked like a real girl, complete with the ‘imperfections’ that all people have.