There is a very loosely affiliated network of blogs on tumblr that in the last couple of months have become all the rage on tumblr. There isn’t really a name for them, but they function in a very similar way to the “Shit People Say” youtube meme (groan) from a couple months back. They all follow a pretty simple set-up:
A feeling that a specific group of people have + an animated GIF that shows how you look when you feel that way.
The term a lot of these blogs use to identify themselves with is what should we call me blogs. Which comes from the name of the first blog to attempt this “shit people feel” kind of set-up, What Should We Call Me. Here’s an example:
WHENEVER MY BOYFRIEND OFFERS ME A BITE OF HIS DESSERT
What Should We Call Me largely covers a very specific range of experiences, from a largely female point of view. There are ones for when you’re flirting with a guy who’s out of your league, for when you’re trying to figure out how you feel about HBO’s Girls, or when your friend doesn’t have your back when you’re having an argument with your boyfriend.
They are universal but specific experiences, and, like the shit people say meme, it’s inspired a lot of imitators.
1. WHEN EXAM WEEK ROLLS AROUND AND I HAVEN’T TOUCHED A BOOK
#ITHINKIMPRETTYNORMAL is a pretty blatant rip-off of What Should We Call Me. It’s also pretty similar to the My Life Is Average kind of schtick.
2. WHEN SOMEONE IS TRYING TO TAKE MY PICTURE
#WHATSHOULDWECALLCATS is apparently about cats, I guess?
3. WHEN OBAMA ENDORSED MARRIAGE EQUALITY
WHEN OBAMA ENDORSED MARRIAGE EQUALITY is a pretty one-note theme of just celebration GIFs.
4. WHEN A SKETCHY BRO OFFERS ME A CUP OF SKETCHY POSSIBLY ROOFIED JUNGLE JUICE AT A SKETCHY FRAT PARTY
#COLLEGEGREEKS gets kind of dark sometimes…
5. WHEN THAT ONE TEAMMATE SHOWS UP FOR TEAM BREAKFAST AND THEY’RE ALWAYS LIKE
GREAT DAY TO BE AN ATHLETE covers the frustrations of being a (mainly female) college athlete. They like to sleep and eat a lot.
6. WHEN DADDY TELLS ME I CAN’T GO SHOPPING WITH HIS CREDIT CARD
#callmeprincessxo is apparently just about really terrible women or something. It’s mostly GIFs from various Real Housewives spin-offs and The Jersey Shore
7. WHEN AN UGLY GUY TRIES TO APPROACH ME
#SHITTHATSFRESH is just another vaguely ladies-feeling-ways-about-stuff blog.
8. HOW PATIENTS THINK THEY LOOK AFTER TOOTH WHITENING
#WHATSHOULDWECALLDENTAL is apparently a shit people feel blog for dentists and dental students, now we’re getting pretty specific.
9. WHEN ALL OF THE PEOPLE ON THE “FUTURE OF MEDIA” PANEL ARE OLD WHITE MEN
#realtalk from your editor is one for editors and journalists. It’s a LOT of Devil Wears Prada GIFs, which is, of course, to be expected.
10. WHAT HOLLYWOOD (OR AT LEAST THE MIGHTY DUCKS) THINK OF PEOPLE FROM AUSTIN
#WHENINAUSTIN is one for Austin, Texas. So if you’re from Austin, here’s a blog of how you can feel about stuff.
But there isn’t a definitive place to find them all. So in the comments, add any and all you can think of, the weirder and more specific the better.