1. The word “Doge” comes from this 2005 Homestar Runner clip.
It was supposed to be like you were playing a weird role-playing computer game where you get to pet a dog.
3. Jokes based on the weird Doge Tumblr post floated around for a few years…
4. …until history was made when someone called a Shiba Inu a doge on 4chan.
5. That same month, based on the original weird Doge role-playing Tumblr post, this corgi with a tea set on his head was posted on Tumblr and quickly went viral.
6. A few months later, in the summer of 2012, the Shiba Confessions Tumblr was born.
Basically it was a blog that put stuff that 12-year-old girls would say in Comic Sans over photos of Shiba Inus.
7. That’s when this picture was posted on Tumblr. Which has since become the quintessential “Doge” photo.
8. Between the summer of 2012 and 2013, Doge posts got kind of weird.
The complete Doge takeover lasted for a day or so before the moderators of r/murica could regain control of the place.
10. It should be noted that Doge stuff doesn’t have to be on just photos of Shiba Inus, it’s more about just getting the general feel right.
11. In the months since the Doge takeover of Reddit, larger places have been picking it up. This is what happens when you search “doge meme” on YouTube.
12. And the Hamburger Helper Twitter account posted this earlier this month.
13. It doesn’t seem like Doge stuff is slowing down anytime soon, but some people might want to cool it…
14. If you’re feeling burnt out from Doge, try Side-Eyeing Chloe, similar kind of vibe.
15. Doge is love, Doge is life.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Here Are The Top Stories
- A large object discovered Wednesday on the coast of the island of Réunion belongs to the same type of aircraft as missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, a U.S. official told the Associated Press.
- A University of Cincinnati officer has been charged with murder for shooting Samuel Dubose, an unarmed black man.
- Uber drivers waiting for ride requests near the International Airport of Mexico City were pelted with rocks, sticks, eggs, and flour yesterday afternoon. Local authorities are investigating the incident.