2. Yesterday morning The Wall Street Journal’s Eric Holthaus dubbed Hurricane Sandy a “snor’eastercane”
3. Hurricane Sandy is not only a hybrid of a winter storm and a hurricane, but will be touching land during a full moon when tides are at their highest.
4. Holthaus’ article details what to expect from Hurricane Sandy when it hits early next week
Should the storm make landfall north of New York City, coastal flooding would be minimized but several inches of snowfall could drop on the region. With leaves still on the trees in New York City and Long Island, tree damage and power outages would be increased. If the storm makes landfall south of the five boroughs, that would mean the city is in line for Sandy’s worst effects: storm surge, wind and heavy rains.
6. The NOAA coined the nickname Frankenstorm
7. From the NOAA’s press release
THE LION’S SHARE OF GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT THE CIRCULATION ASSOCIATED WITH HURRICANE SANDY WILL PASS CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE AMPLIFYING POLAR TROUGH OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES TO BECOME INCORPORATED INTO A HYBRID VORTEX OVER THE MID ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST NEXT TUESDAY. THE HIGH DEGREE OF BLOCKING FROM EASTERN NORTH AMERICA ACROSS THE ENTIRE ATLANTIC BASIN IS EXPECTED TO ALLOW THIS UNUSUAL MERGER TO TAKE PLACE, AND ONCE THE COMBINED GYRE MATERIALIZES, IT SHOULD SETTLE BACK TOWARD THE INTERIOR NORTHEAST THROUGH HALLOWEEN, INVITING PERHAPS A GHOULISH NICKNAME FOR THE CYCLONE ALONG THE LINES OF “FRANKENSTORM”, AN ALLUSION TO MARY SHELLEY’S GOTHIC CREATURE OF SYNTHESIZED ELEMENTS.
8. And then of course, the internet responded in typical internet fashion
I hope @WSJWeather goes as a #Frankenstorm for Halloween. He described #Sandy as “a Frankenstein of weather badness.”— Rubina Madan Fillion
The weather people are calling the hurricane coming our way “Frankenstorm”— Hanna Marr
Iâ€™m scared of this â€œFrankenstormâ€ heading our wayâ€¦ a combination of snowstorm and hurricane doesnâ€™t sound very nice.— Wei Cheng
If this frankenstorm ruins my stomach baring costume options I will be one unhappy fully clothed girl… #itsnothalloweenifimnotnaked— sarah curtin
Frankenstorm is coming for Halloween— Ron Perez
- A Kentucky clerk is defying the Supreme Court by refusing to issue marriage licenses. Her policy comes from her religious opposition to same-sex marriage. ›
- Los Angeles has officially been selected as the American candidate city to host the 2024 Summer Olympics. ›
- McDonald's all-day breakfast is happening: It's coming to the U.S. on Oct. 6. The company started testing it this year 🍳 ›