1. It’s darker and weirder than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, which was already a pretty complex album.
2. It’s angry and sad, and his most challenging release to date.
3. Daft Punk co-produced some of the most aggressive songs on the album, like “Black Skinhead” and “On Sight.”
4. Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon is also on it, singing on the ultra-melodic fifth track, “Hold My Liquor.”
5. Frank Ocean appears on “New Slaves,” at the end of the song.
6. There are a lot of dancehall sounds all over the album, keeping up with the samples used on “Mercy” last year.
7. He’s brought back some of the Auto-Tune-dominated style of 2008’s 808s & Heartbreak, particularly on “Blood on the Leaves.” Really, that song is like every era of Kanye production at once.
8. The album version of “New Slaves” is different than the SNL version, with a brighter, longer outro.
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›