CYPRESS, Texas (AP) — Authorities say they have arrested someone in a suspected stabbing attack on a campus of the Lone Star community college system in the Houston area.
Alan Bernstein of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office says authorities have a suspect in custody following a Tuesday morning attack at the Lone Star campus in Cypress. Bernstein did not know how many people were hurt or conditions.
Victims were seen being loaded into medical helicopters.
A different Lone Star system campus in north Harris County was the site of a shooting in January. Two people were wounded, and a 22-year-old man was charged with aggravated assault.
3. Here’s a vine of the lockdown announcement coming over the school’s loudspeaker:
4. The text alert that went out to the community surrounding the college:
7. It is still unclear how many were injured, but current reports put it at 14 people.
9. In January, Lone Star College was the scene of a shooting
According to a report from local news station NBC 5, an area man was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
10. Update, April 9th, 2:30 p.m.: From The Houston Chronicle:
Capt. Robert Rasa of the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department said 12 people were rushed to area hospitals. Rasa said four people were flown by LifeFlight medical helicopter to Memorial Hermann-The Texas Medical Center. They were in critical condition.
Rasa added that two others were also taken to Memorial Hermann-The Texas Medical Center. Their conditions were not known but Rasa said they were not critically wounded.
12. Update, April 9th, 3:45 p.m.: A man claiming to have captured the suspect posted this photo on Instagram.
Police have refused to identify the suspect, but describe him as a student who was enrolled at Lone Star College, roughly 21-years-old.
13. Update, April 9th, 6:30 p.m.: The Houston Chronicle is identifying the suspect as 20-year-old Dylan Quick.
There is still no motive. Quick is described in an online profile discovered by The Houston Chronicle as solitary and uneasy in social situations, born deaf but with his hearing restored due to a cochlear implant: “Initially reluctant to participate, Dylan was homeschooled and very shy.”